Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<6410269e$0$24801$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

Subject: Re: ClamXav is no longer free - old post!
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop
From: David Brooks <BD@nomaill.afraid.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 22:55:02 +0000

On 02/03/2023 21:24, pothead wrote:
> On 2023-03-02, David Brooks <BD@nomaill.afraid.org> wrote:

>>> I would tend to believe that someone who was an actual 'friend' would
>>> endeavor to help you get a refund or, at the least, find out if it's
>>> possible to sell a license to a suspended account.
>>
>> NONE of those things have been requested.
>>
>>> This raises the
>>> question: Did you use the *same* account as when you originally
>>> purchased and have simply renewed that annual license or did you
>>> recently purchase as if you were a new customer (a thing I can see you
>>> doing based on your stated goal)?
>>
>> I signed-up as a new-user when I purchased on 8th February 2023
>>
>> D.
>
> Just a couple of thoughts from a Linux/Windows user.
>
> 1. Is this the same program you asked snit to remove the trial marker on a year or two ago?
> I don't care, I'm just asking because it might have left behind a fingerprint.
No. I/we did it with Malwarebytes though.

> 2. Did you remove that program?

Yes.

> 3. Has your system drive been formatted clean since that adventure?
> Not an OS upgrade, or restore from a back up, but totally clean.

Yes - fully erased

> I don't know how ClamXav validates which user belongs to which specific copy of the program?
> Is it a serial number? Does it connect to the mother ship every now and then?
> etc

Yes

> The reason I ask is even though you removed the program, some software developers leave some kind
> of fingerprint of sorts around which might interfere with a clean install of a newly purchased
> program because they expect you to upgrade each year or something like that. It might be tied to
> the email which you originally used.

I used the same email address

> Windows programs are famous for doing this. It's poor programming practice but they tie the machine
> to the serial number or activation code and then hide the result on the system.
> It's usually buried in the registry in some arcane place.

No registry here

> Just a thought.

Thanks

> BTW I've had software that went through FastSpring and never had a problem. They are easy to deal
> with.

No worries about Fast Spring

> Also, in my experience if you contact the vendor and explain your issue NICELY, they will almost
> always offer a refund or credit even if the website says something to the contrary.
>
> Good luck.

Mark Allan, the developer of ClamXAV will not correspond with me at all.
He has blocked me from Facebook (both personal and corporate) and
blocked me on LinkedIn too.
Be sure to ckeck out how few 'users' of the ClamXAV product there are on
Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=ClamXav