Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<841de574-0340-4f95-8b50-20c555f10271n@googlegroups.com>

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:45:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with
 Android Silent Notes
From: Martin Stoeckli <stoecklimartin888@gmail.com>

Some points I will be able to clear up iI think, but setting up a locale We=
bDav server is quite specific to the hosting computer.

> Apparently Windows already has a local WebDAV server built in so I=20
> looked up how to set that up with self-signed certificates for encryption=
..=20
> I don't really need encryption but I don't know if the Silent Notes app=
=20
> will work without encryption (as the documentation says it requires it).=
=20

I didn't know that Windows offers WebDav out of the box with IIS, all users=
 I had contact with installed a NextCloud instance.

An SSL connection with a certificate is not necessary, in fact this does ma=
ke it harder to establish the connection, because when you generate a self =
signed certificate, one needs to tell the client that it should be trusted.=
 SilentNotes uses end-to-end encryption, so while in transit the repository=
 is always encrypted, regardless of whether the connection itself is encryp=
ted or not. In your case it is a local address in the LAN anyway, so I woul=
d recommend to use plain http:// .

> I need a way to test the Windows WebDAV server to make sure it's alive.=
=20

You can check whether the connection is alive with the Windows Explorer (no=
t Internet Explorer), there you can enter the URL e.g. http://192.168.1.42/=
MyWebDav/SilentNotes/ and it will ask for the credentials if they are requi=
red. If the explorer can connect, SilentNotes should be able too. Enter onl=
y the path to the directory, not a file name.