Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8734rib55c.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

From: Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org>
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Young people peering
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:52:15 -0700

SugarBug <3883@sugar.bug> writes:
> Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:

>> The parents who think their children should have reasonable Internet
>> access tend to get out-shouted by the parents who think that any
>> exposure to parentally unapproved material may transform their precious
>> 17-year-olds into hardened criminals or damned atheists.

> "Reasonable internet access ..."

> Excuse me while I hysterically laugh myself to death!

> There is no level of "reasonable internet access" for anyone under the
> age of 40. No psyche is left undamaged by even brief exposure to
> cyberspace. I'm certain the Usenet trolls already proved that at least
> two decades ago.

Well, yes, deciding the Internet was a bad idea and no one should use it
is also a position one could have.  :)  Some days I'd even agree with you!

I'm pretty sure it's also pretty bad for people over 40 years old.  There
is a brief moment on your 40th birthday when the Internet is safe and you
should treasure it.  Retroactively if necessary.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

          Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.