Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<XnsAFD496534B6Fnilch1@wheedledeedle.moc>

From: Nil <rednoise9@rednoise9.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Persistent, ukillable process
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 14:46:39 -0400

I have a program, Musescore (a music notation software) that was recently
updated from version 3 to 4, with many nice improvements. Unfortunately,
after I close it after running, the interface goes away, but its process
lingers. Every time I start and close it it leaves yet another phantom
process running. Not only that, but those processes seem to be unkillable,
even when the kill utilities are run as Administrator... AND they persist
even after a reboot!

I find no Autostart, listed Service or Task that would keep it going after
a reboot. This is a real mystery to me

This must be something peculiar to this Windows 10 desktop computer. On my
Win10 and Win11 laptops it runs and quits normally. There's no sign on their
user forum of anyone else having such a problem.

Can anyone suggest how I could troubleshoot this?

==========

An example - this process started yesterday and is still there today after
the computer being shutdown for the night:

C:\Users\xxx\Desktop>pslist64 -x musescore4

PsList v1.4 - Process information lister
Process and thread information for xxx:

Name                Pid      VM      WS    Priv Priv Pk   Faults   NonP Page
MuseScore4         6596 4851208  192448  149652  384200   181593     50  783
 Tid Pri    Cswtch            State     User Time   Kernel Time   Elapsed Time
5460   8   8392793   Wait:DelayExec  0:00:00.000   0:00:00.062   44:12:22.952

When I try to kill it with PSKILL, Task Manager, or Process Explorer I
get an Access Denied message:

C:\Users\xxx\Desktop>pskill64 -t 6596

PsKill v1.16 - Terminates processes on local or remote systems

Unable to kill process 6596:
Access is denied.