Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<pmsvi1$ge6$1@dont-email.me>

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Adobe - The writing on the wall comes into view
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 00:41:37 -0400

B00ze wrote:
> On 2018-09-06 10:03, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> B00ze wrote:

>>> You can always code your own. Sure, it becomes simpler to use new
>>> Microsoft APIs as they come out, but it's always possible to support
>>> older OSes, it just becomes hard to keep everything in sync (and
>>> expensive, but Adobe makes lots of money.)
>>
>> I don't think you know the half of it.
>>
>> On the one hand, Photoshop was traditionally a high
>> quality software. I never had any real bugs to speak
>> of while using it. (I have two copies on the Mac, one
>> copy acquired with a scanner purchase.)
>
> I've never used it, but those "custom" installers they use for Creative
> Suite? Oh, what a horror! I've had them open a totally white window; you
> couldn't see anything. The buttons were there, but you couldn't see, and
> I had to unInstall 20 different components, one at a time that way, such
> fun...
>
>> But, they have some strange habits, as developers go.
>> For example, they made their own memory management
>> plugin. That's like writing your own malloc.
>> Now, is that absolutely necessary? Or is that asshattery?
>> You decide.
>
> They might've wanted to standardize - same memory functions no matter
> which OS the main software runs on? - or maybe they were supporting real
> time OSes with no virtual memory? Not sure of the performance gains of
> using your own swap vs the OS swap, it might prevent the OS from
> swapping out your code...
>
>> If you were to say "Jesus, I get tired when
>> swimming upstream against the current all the time".
>> Yes, it's true. It takes a lot of energy to move
>> against a flow of water. Instead of taking the
>> easy way, and moving with the water. But that's
>> the history of Photoshop for you. When they visit
>> your ecosystem, they slip on their hip waders,
>> and rewrite the parts where their program "touches"
>> your OS.
>
> I'm not a huge fan of Adobe code, but I've never examined it in a
> debugger. I do know it's all custom, which tends to create issues...
>
>> Another area they go overboard, is in hardware
>> acceleration. For example, back when I got a copy of
>> Photoshop, you could buy a small plugin board with
>> dual 56K DSP processors. And Photoshop plugins would
>> accelerate certain image filters, and they'd run
>> on the 56K processor. They've ported the filters
>> to a number of hardware solutions.
>>
>> If we're on a modern computer, well, what could they
>> mess with ? Oooh, video card! There are programmable
>> shaders there. There's CUDA. There's OpenCL. How
>> can we complicate things ? OK, let's try.
>
> Lol, you know some people MUST've been asking them to support CUDA, even
> if it made no real difference ;-)
>
>> The thing is, Photoshop never seemed to be hobbled
>> by the speed of the image processing. It was the
>> scratch disk and the undo scheme that was "from hell".
>> If you had your undo set to five levels, you might
>> do an operation, then wait *one minute 30 seconds*
> [...]

You know that Photoshop CS2 is available "free", right ?
("Free" in the "What were they thinking" sense.)

When Adobe shut down the license server for CS2, they put
copies of the software on a server, plus special license keys to activate it.
The activation server might have shut down Mar2013, on
software issued in 2008, making the software perhaps
ten years old today.

Within the last year, I was still able to find a site offering
a download of one of those. So you can still partake.

That would at least allow you to see what the fuss is
all about - even if a number of the more interesting modern
"chopping" filters are missing. It will at least
give the flavor of the UI (which will be similar
in ways to GIMP).

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4948-adobe-creative-suite-free.html

Back when the Adobe server was running, I got this.

PhSp_CS2_English__photoshop_CS2_1045-1412-5685-1654-6343-1431.exe
356,583,291 bytes
SHA1: 1EDFD80947F4A89A0D80C94AB7CAF3C2BE7224C5

Using the SHA1 in a search, I got this link.
Verify the size and hash.

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/PHSP/PhSp_CS2_English.exe

    Paul