Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<qn73ln$f9h$1@dont-email.me>

From: "wasbit" <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows explorer and creating a filename which gets sorted /after/ the letters ?
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 10:33:35 +0100

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote in message
news:qn4amg$1ugt$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm in the need for a filename that will be, in "windows explorer", sorted
> /after/ all the ones starting with letter symbols (for non-important, but
> still easy-to-reach files).
>
> I thought I could rather easily find that out by just a small VBScript,
> but that both showed a decorated "z" as the last-to-be-sorted character,
> as well as an inability to recreate that character using the keyboard -
> alt 158, the value I "chr( )"-ed to create the filename, came back with a
> rather different one ... <whut?>
>
> I repeated the filename creation using CreateFilenameA (kernel32) , but
> ran into the same. :-(
>
> So, next to my above, initial need I could do with an explanation to why I
> can create filenames that I cannot recreate using the keyboard in "windows
> explorer", and possibly a method to how to get those characters anyway
> (preferrably by keyboard).
>
> Remark: The OS this has been found and tested on is XPsp3.   Though I
> think that the above might well also happen on the OSes (7 & 10) of the
> newsgroups I crossposted to, and as such I've opted to broaden my chance
> of finding someone who knows about it.   My apologies if I misjudged.

My method, found by trial & error, is to add a hyphen space to the front of
a file to make them appear at the top of the list.
Others have already promoted zz on the front to make the file appear last.
For other symbols, that I may occasionally need but can't remember, I keep
in a text file & copy & paste them as needed.
The tick character is the one that I've had the most problems over the
years. That's why there are several versions in the following list

✓ ✔
✓ = Alt 10003
✔ = Alt 10004
√ = Alt 0252