Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<sd64nu$19k$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Norman Nescio" <nonone@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.test
Subject: "Burn It Down" Explores SNL and Its =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=93Culture=5Fof=5FImpunity=94?= (Exclusive Excerpt)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 13:18:01 -0400

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/burn-it-down-book-excerpt-
snl-lorne-michaels-1235507730

Author Maureen Ryan writes that Lorne Michaels’ “long tenure as a power
player and ‘SNL’s’ enduring importance are intertwined with a culture of
impunity within the world of comedy, in which abuse and toxicity are not
just permitted but often celebrated.”

“For decades, SNL has been a frequently terrible, punishing experience for
a lot of people who worked there or ended up in the show’s orbit.”

That’s part of how author Maureen Ryan describes the workplace culture of
NBC’s Saturday Night Live in her forthcoming book, Burn It Down: Power,
Complicity, and a Call for Change in Hollywood.

Due June 6, the book from Ryan — a longtime journalist and critic who has
contributed reporting to THR surrounding misconduct — has already revealed
the toxicity that existed in the writers room on ABC’s Lost. Now, in an
exclusive chapter, Ryan turns her lens on the nearly 50-year-old comedy
institution that is Saturday Night Live, describing a “culture of impunity”
at the Lorne Michaels series where “abuse and toxicity are not just permitted
but often celebrated.”

In an exclusive chapter to The Hollywood Reporter, Ryan explores the power
dynamics between Michaels, his cast, writers and the imbalances that helped
lead to frequent cast and writer turnover. Ryan also interviews Jane Doe,
the former fan who filed a lawsuit against Horatio Sanz that was settled last
fall who reveals her “emotionally abusive” relationship with the former cast
member. “He steered me into thinking that everything that happened—when he
tried to rape me in the cab after that party—was my fault,” she tells Ryan.

Below, THR shares an excerpt.

***

She wanted to work in comedy. The mordant wit she displayed throughout our
three-hour conversation, which sometimes went to dark places, showed she may
have made it in that world. When she called the defendants in the civil suit
she’d filed “jabronis,” it was unexpected—and funny.

Here she was, taking on a gigantic media company—NBCUniversal—and one of the
most powerful and legendary men in the American entertainment industry, Lorne
Michaels (among others). But Jane Doe, like so many survivors I’ve talked to,
was anything but humorless.

She recalled, two decades ago, going to an official Saturday Night Live
afterparty, where she chatted with Michaels about the Jimmy Fallon fan site
she ran. After another such gathering, she and Horatio Sanz headed to an
after-after party. She consumed alcohol at both parties, and she alleged that
at the latter, cast member Sanz put his hands on her breasts and genitals,
in full view of several SNL cast members.

“My control top pantyhose did more to keep me safe than any of those people
that I idolized,” she said.

Later that night, she passed out in a taxi on the way to Penn Station. She
told me she woke up to Sanz’s vigorous efforts to remove her pants. (I
contacted Sanz’s attorney, Andrew Brettler, with questions about the
allegations in this chapter; he did not reply. In other news stories, through
Brettler, Sanz has denied all misconduct, and the attorney has said Doe’s
allegations are “categorically false.”

Jane Doe was seventeen. She’d been in the orbit of Sanz and SNL for more than
two years.

***

Studio 8H was smaller than I thought it would be. That was not necessarily
surprising; in three decades of covering the entertainment industry, I can
only think of a few instances in which sets were larger—or people were
taller—than I expected them to be.

I visited in 2008, but SNL still goes out live from the same space, which is,
in my somewhat timeworn recollection, around the same size as a suburban
Costco.

Like Costco, SNL deals in bulk quantities. Come 2025, the show will be fifty
years old, a milestone reached by few other pop-culture commodities. SNL is
close to racking up one thousand total episodes. Hundreds of people have
taken its stages during that time. And like another long-running franchise,
Doctor Who, SNL—a flagship property for NBC and its parent company, Comcast—
has turned the cast regeneration process into a subject of fervent
speculation. The interest is there because its stages and the ranks of its
writers have, for decades, launched an enormous array of creators, directors,
producers, and performers into the upper tiers of various comedy and
entertainment industry ecosystems.

All these factors make it difficult to write about SNL as an institution.
During its lifetime, it has showcased a staggering variety of performers,
ideas, and comic tones. Recently, a lot of what SNL has churned out has felt
more than a little tired and predictable. But a critic offering that
assessment is itself predictable. “A Prosperous Saturday Night Grows Tame” is
a headline from 1993.

As a comedy nerd and an observer of the industry, Grant, who wrote for the
show, kept circling the idea that it was nearly impossible—no, definitely
impossible—to write about SNL as an institution. As a cultural force and as a
place of employment, there was simply too much to examine, synthesize, and
distill. Anyone attempting to write about the show would have to find a way
to slice off a smaller segment and focus on that.

I’ll attempt to do that by focusing on one person, and, to some degree,
another mistake I made. For decades, I too easily accepted certain narratives
surrounding SNL and its key executive producer, Lorne Michaels. I will only
indict myself, but I don’t think I’m alone in having gone down a mistaken
path; I believe I have a lot of company on that road. That’s how good
Michaels has been at playing the game for half a century.

Michaels is one of the rare people in the entertainment industry who is far
more powerful than his public image would indicate. “Executive producer” is
hardly a title that does his many roles justice; it’d be like designating the
late Queen Elizabeth II a “notable Briton.” For almost fifty years, Michaels
has decided who got hired at SNL. Staffers advise him on who the hosts and
musical guests should be, but he makes all the big calls. Generations of
comedy performers have spent thousands of hours sweating where Michaels will
place their sketches in the show’s lineup.

But that’s just the start of Michaels’s role as a kingmaker. He and very
frequently his company, Broadway Video, have credits on The Tonight Show
Starring Jimmy Fallon, Late Night with Seth Meyers, Wayne’s World, Mean
Girls, 30 Rock, Los Espookys, Portlandia, and Saturday Night Live itself. And
that roster is just a tiny slice of industry projects Michaels has had a hand
in the past half century.

For all these reasons, during many different NBC regimes, his power has been
near-absolute. Or, depending on whom you talk to, absolute. When Grant joined
the show in the ’90s, he observed that “the lighting designer was an eighty-
something World War II veteran who worked there until I think he was in his
nineties, and whose vision was failing. And he was the lighting designer of
the show!” During Grant’s time at SNL, the rules, such as they were, were
“insane.” People smoked in their offices in the early aughts, Grant said,
despite the existence of a Manhattan indoor smoking ban.

This was all part of Grant’s argument that “it’s a little bit reductive” to
examine the program as if it’s any other show; it’s a “weird Hollywood
outcropping” that somehow lasted for a long, long time. “You can’t just say,
let’s look at SNL, because SNL is fourteen different shows spread out over
fifty years.” I do understand that take; it makes sense.

Yet the unifying force behind almost every iteration is Michaels. That
lighting designer and others had such long tenures at SNL, which is located
in Manhattan’s 30 Rockefeller Center, in large part because Michaels is, as
Grant put it, “the prime minister of his own nation. He has his own laws and
his own rules.” Grant and I disagreed at times, but we were in harmony on one
point: the idea of Comcast or NBCUniversal executives having meaningful power
over Michaels seems naive at best. “All of the current Comcast executives,
when they talk about him, it’s like he’s, I don’t know, Mandela or something
—you know, this figure, who looms largely over show business and
entertainment and NBC,” Grant said. “He’s the last real direct connection
between what we have now and what we had then, this magical, mysterious,
nostalgic time—the halcyon days of television.”

All the more reason to examine the image and legacy of Michaels, who has
spent many years exerting massive power within the center of the
entertainment industry and who resides at the epicenter of the New York media
scene. The image he has constructed, in my opinion, is the product of
conscious effort and strategy. Grant did not agree.

“He likes the living in New York part of the job, and the working in 30 Rock
part, and the connection to old Hollywood and old show business,” Grant said.
“He has a reverence for the history and he likes the stars, and he likes
being in a place that culturally matters.” But, in Grant’s view, outside of
the moves Michaels makes to protect his late-night fiefdom (which, as noted,
includes Fallon and Meyers’s pro- grams), “I don’t think he sits there and
says, ‘Here’s how I’ll maneuver.’ He’s not a maneuverer. He’s a guy who likes
wearing black Prada suits and getting recognized and eating at fancy
restaurants and being a part of a cultural institution.”

Regardless of what Grant or I think, the pose struck by Michaels in the many
books and articles in which he is quoted is impressively consistent: the cast
are the stars, he is merely the majordomo, trying to help them make the magic
happen. “It’s very hard, and you don’t really know what you’re doing ’til the
day of [the broadcast]. But we have a really talented group of people and the
cast has been amazing and the writing staff has come through. So I think
everybody cares about it. There’s a certain pride in doing it.” That’s a
quote he gave me in 2008, and it’s very typical of this subgenre of
journalism.

In part because Michaels has so often been so quick to share credit, it is
easy to infer that he runs a shop that reflects the public image he has
built: low-key, modest, cerebral, hardworking. For nearly fifty years,
Michaels has offered the US media a mild-mannered, soft-spoken, extremely
Canadian image—he’s positioned himself as the anti–Scott Rudin, if you will.
“Toronto in the 1950’s was a very safe and ordered place, so the chief thing