Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<sjdc1l$ogq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: eternal-september.support
Subject: Re: No messages displayed
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 18:49:13 -0400

On 10/3/2021 5:13 PM, gareth evans wrote:
> On 03/10/2021 22:07, John McCue wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> A patch? Couldn't you install the new root certificate directly?
>>
>> OpenBSD had a patch associated with Lets Encrypt:
>>
>> https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article;sid=20211001073034
>>
>> So it is possible others could need a patch, or at the very
>> least a new root cert.
>>

> Let's Encrypt???????
>
> Have I missed something, what is it?
>
> Running W10 here.

http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=techinfo

    Server name: news.eternal-september.org
    Port : 119 (NNTP)
    Port : 563 (encrypted connection NNTPS)   <=== certificate-dependent

    Servername: reader80.eternal-september.org
    Port : 80

    Servername: reader443.eternal-september.org
    Port : 443 (encrypted connection NNTPS)   <=== certificate-dependent

If you use the encrypted connection, it protects your password
for authentication, in flight. If you use port 110, the password
travels over the network cables as plaintext.

On the minus side, while the nttps connection is set up,
a thing like a secure socket layer, negotiates with the
other end. One of the parts of that, is verifying the other
end is "who it says it is". This is done with certificates.
Certificates verified by various crypto-strings in them.

Someone in another news group (WinXP group), claims:

    "(You'll need ISRG Root X1, ISRG Root X2, Let’s Encrypt R3 and
      Let’s Encrypt E1)"

The chacha is explained here, in the diagram. You would only
need all four, if you want the client to support two flavors of
crypto (paranoid server operators may choose the non-RSA option).

    https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/

Text version of R3, based on RSA crypto.

    https://letsencrypt.org/certs/lets-encrypt-r3.txt

         Validity
             Not Before: Sep  4 00:00:00 2020 GMT
             Not After : Sep 15 16:00:00 2025 GMT

As far as I know, Firefox has its own certificate store, Thunderbird
is a copy of Firefox, so it should have its own certificate store.

This is what I see here right now on mine. Thunderbird 52.3 .

    https://i.postimg.cc/x8X4b3Pp/tbird-cert.gif

Other web browsers or news clients, may rely on the platform
store, and the platform store may check in every six hours
for updates. But we don't have to worry about that right now,
and instead figure out why your certificates aren't right.

It looks like maybe mine updated, but I don't really get
this certificate stuff, so I can't be sure. I'd have to get
a database dumper working, and the format of certxxx.db may
change from one version of Thunderbird to the next.

Since my connection to mixmin is working, it implies that
somehow mine is working right now. Mixmin is on 563
(might not use other port numbers, hard to tell).

I usually get a migraine when this topic is forced upon me :-)
Thank goodness this is working. What a relief.

    Paul