Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ssrpma$3au$1@dont-email.me>

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Preventing a Windows 10 computer upgrading to Windows 11 (PC
 hardware is Win 11 compliant)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:33:49 -0500

On 1/26/2022 9:58 AM, NY wrote:
> I have a laptop which came with Win 10 Home pre-installed. On the Settings | Updates screen there is a message that my PC *is* compatible with Win 11 and that Win 11 will be available in the future for upgrade.
>
> Is there a way to configure Win 10 so it will continue to receive Win 10 software updates (knowledgebase and security updates, and maybe even service packs) but which will prevent Windows 11 from being installed?
>
> I review updates in Settings | Updates and choose manually to install them (and when to do so), but there is always the risk that Win 11 might be force-fed, on the basis that MS think that "it is so much better (not my opinion!) and therefore why would anyone *not* want it".

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/159624-how-specify-target-feature-update-version-windows-10-a.html

This six line registry file (five lines and a space line), clears
out the preference, allowing the normal logic to be used.

Undo_specify_target_Feature_Update_version.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ProductVersion"=-
"TargetReleaseVersion"=-
"TargetReleaseVersionInfo"=-

Specify_target_Feature_Update_version_to_21H2.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ProductVersion"="Windows 10"
"TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001
"TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="21H2"

The latter six line file (five lines and a space line) can be
applied to your current installation to keep it on Windows 10.
If no release other than "21H2" is used, then it is supposed
to stay on 21H2. If there is a 22H1, you can edit that field
and put 22H1 in it, in place of the current value applied.

All the fields should be valid, to prevent accidents.
For example, even if your "winver.exe" reports 19044.xxxx ,
you set the release to 21H2 so that it won't go past 19044.

If your winver is 22000.xxxx, then you're already at Windows 11.
And you would have noticed anyway, as the right-click menu design
is quite different.

    Paul