Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<su4lof$re8$1@dont-email.me>

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.computer,sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Cute FTP ver 9 case 00097708
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:38:27 -0500

On 2/10/2022 3:00 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 2/10/2022 1:05 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
>>     Way back about Jan 7 2022 I bought Cute FTP version 9.
>>
>>     Got the msi, it installs but there was a missing dll so it will not run.
>>
>>    Since then, i have trying (maybe 6 times or so: case # 00097708) to get support to do something to get it running.
>>
>>    I have been asking then pleading for resolution to no avail.
>>
>>    The missing dll is api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll; if anyone has that, please e-mail it to me.
>>
>>    Can anyone help?
>>
>>    Thanks.  R. Baer

OK, I started with a clean Win7 SP1, then added something from here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist

    This is Visual Studio VCRedist, giving MSVCRT in the modern form of api-ms-win.crt .
    This *adds* to an original set that came with Windows 7 SP1 installation.
    The missing file you seek, is in here.

    https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe       <=== x64 OS, populates System32

    https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe       <=== x64 OS, populates SysWOW64

    ----------------------------------------------       <=== On Windows 10, there would be a Downlevel
                                                              folder with older api-ms for the previous
                                                              OSes.

Some of the System32 api-ms files have the Hidden attribute set.
And, some do not. This means   dir /a   is needed to list all of them.

That's the progress I've made so far.

I noticed a Microsoft VM I downloaded, had a shitload of them, yet
the Programs and Features control panel had *no trace* of how they
got into the OS. I wasted a lot of time trying to make a pre-baked
VM cough up some secrets. I had to install a VM from the DVD and
do it that way, and "guess" at what the source might be.

The files are divided into two sets. And this is just a personal impression,
as I can't find the documentation I want.

Some of the entries seem to be related to .NET . The CRT ones are
related to VCRedist and Visual Studio. That means, if you have some
additional missing ones, that don't have CRT in the name, then as
you're posting back with your missing item list, consider tracking
down a recent .NET like a 4.7 or a 4.8, and see if installing that helps.

If I just push the button and get wsusoffline to patch up my test OS,
it'll pour too much crap into it, and I'll never be able to figure out
where the additional files are coming from. My plan is not to ask you
to "just patch up your OS", because that's a big ask and could
easily break multiple times before you are done.

    Paul