Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<svfo21$1rknr$1@solani.org>

From: Gourbi <gourbi@freenet.de>
Newsgroups: fr.lettres.langue.anglaise
Subject: Re: we were running in and out of time
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 12:41:52 +0100

Am 27.02.2022 um 07:55 schrieb Hibou:
> Le 26/02/2022 à 18:14, Gourbi a écrit :
>>
>> Je savais que c'est une chanson très personnelle dédiée à sa femme.
>> Malgré cela, Clapton écrit dans la troisième strophe
>> (https://www.songtexte.de/songtexte/eric-clapton-believe-in-life-12888441.html) :
>>

>> Whatever happened to the girls I used to know?
>> Whatever happened to the place the we know?
>
> Correction :
>
>      Whatever happened to the places that we'd go?
>
>> When we were running in and out of time,
>> But all the time we still believed in life.
>> We were running in and out of time,
>> But still believed in life.
>>
>> Il fait bien référence ici à son passé et au stress dans lequel il
>> baignait. [...]
>
> Je ne dirais pas qu'il était 'stressé', 'déboussolé' peut-être.

Je ne pense pas qu'Eric Clapton avait perdu le nord. Sa motivation était
et restait la musique.
À côté, il y avait la pression du succès en tant que musicien (il ne
faut pas oublier que sa carrière a débuté avec les Yardbirds alors qu'il
n'avait que 18 ans). Ses aventures amoureuses extraconjugales. Sa longue
dépendance aux drogues et à l'alcool. Il brûlait la chandelle par les
deux bouts. Si cela ne crée pas du stress...

     Personal problems and early solo success

     Clapton's career successes in the 1970s were in stark contrast with
the struggles he coped with in his personal life, which was troubled by
romantic longings and drug and alcohol addiction.[64] Still infatuated
with Boyd and torn by his friendship with Harrison, he withdrew from
recording and touring to isolation in his Surrey residence as the
Dominos broke up. He nursed a heroin addiction, which resulted in a
lengthy career hiatus interrupted only by performing at Harrison's
Concert for Bangladesh benefit shows in New York in August 1971; there,
he passed out on stage, was revived, and managed to finish his
performance.[20] In January 1973, the Who's Pete Townshend organised a
comeback concert for Clapton at London's Rainbow Theatre, titled the
"Rainbow Concert", to help Clapton kick his addiction. Clapton returned
the favour by playing "The Preacher" in Ken Russell's film version of
the Who's Tommy in 1975. His appearance in the film (performing
"Eyesight to the Blind") is notable as he is clearly wearing a fake
beard in some shots, the result of deciding to shave off his real beard
after the initial takes in an attempt to force the director to remove
his earlier scene from the film and leave the set.[58]

     In 1974, Clapton started living with Boyd (they would not marry
until 1979) and was no longer using heroin (although he gradually began
to drink heavily). [...]
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton#Personal_problems_and_early_solo_success)

> Le sens de "running in and out of time" me semble obscur, mais je
> soupçonne une référence musicale (de la part d'un musicien) - in time
> with the music (de sa vie) et son contraire.

Un temps fort et un temps faible ? Il « jouait » sur (la) mesure et à
contretemps, en quelque sorte ?... Nothing but the blues ;-)

> Enfin, qui sait (à part lui) ?

Dommage qu'il ne lise pas FLLA. Nous aurions peut-être la réponse...