Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<tdiuhs$rj8$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

From: Simon Parker <simonparkerulm@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Subject: Re: Yet another cyclist/pedestrian fatal incident
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 06:20:30 +0100
 <1SSdnXXsqstmTmD-nZ2dnZeNn_idnZ2d@giganews.com> <tu71ut$c4sk$1@dont-email.me>
 <k70h5kFjegfU6@mid.individual.net> <k70v0dFtdspU3@mid.individual.net>
 <k76cngFjc4aU21@mid.individual.net> <k774cgFruhhU5@mid.individual.net>
 <pfo31i98lkd1og1sjp93rrcgsoa7p4duhu@4ax.com>
 <k9541i1a27r2to6op90b3l0j8glfehig1t@4ax.com>
 <k7eq94F381nU2@mid.individual.net> <k7t766F4bnkU7@mid.individual.net>
 <k7tup4FdkpiU3@mid.individual.net> <k8039kF4bnkU13@mid.individual.net>
 <k80holFq10bU2@mid.individual.net> <k8adrfF4bnkU22@mid.individual.net>
 <k8avhrFe0maU1@mid.individual.net> <k8iisaF4bnkU32@mid.individual.net>
 <k8is9cFl4dmU1@mid.individual.net>
 =QnCI
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])

On 29/03/2023 14:20, Norman Wells wrote:
> On 29/03/2023 11:40, Simon Parker wrote:
>> On 26/03/2023 14:27, Norman Wells wrote:

>>> I'd go further than that. I don't think you have any real idea at all
>>> as to what was the crime Ms Grey committed for there to be a true
>>> finding of manslaughter.
>>
>> Ms Grey was likely guilty of an offence under section 4(1)(a) of the
>> Public Order Act 1986.
>>
>> Ms Grey was undoubtedly guilty of an offence under section 4A(1)(a) of
>> the same Act.
>>
>> Ms Grey was also undoubtedly guilty of an offence under section
>> 5(1)(a) of the same Act.
>>
>> The charge only needs one crime.  There's three.  And not a mention of
>> the word "assault" in sight.
>
> And not a single mention of any of them in any of the court documents
> we've seen or in any of the reports of the case.
>
> How strange.

Not in the slightest. The court documents didn't mention the make and
model of Mrs Money's car but it was mentioned during the trial.

You need to accept that:

(1) Not everything discussed in court will be mentioned in the scant
paperwork relating to the case that has been released; and

(2) The reports in the media are similarly incomplete.

As I've said before for the allegation that the entire charge is
baseless to be correct, you are stating that all of the following are true:

(1) The CPS did not identify a criminal act in Ms Grey's behaviour and
charged her on spurious grounds;

(2) Ms Grey's defence did not notice this;

(3) The prosecution did not notice this;

(4) The judge did not notice this;

(5) The jury were misled about the law or didn't care and convicted anyway.

(6) You, and you alone, are the only person to have spotted this
egregious mistake and have been able to do so having viewed nothing more
than a couple of documents released by the court.

The alternative is simple: You are mistaken.

That you cannot see this and persist in repeating this notion is beyond
absurd and speaks volumes about your claimed "knowledge" and "experience".

Tangentially, perhaps you'd be so kind as to remind me of the deadline
for Ms Grey seeking leave to appeal the conviction.

>>> It's a sine qua non for a true finding of manslaughter.  If the crime
>>> can't be identified then she would have to be found not guilty.
>>
>> You're basing your entire argument on the snippets of information that
>> we have.
>
> Of course.  Anything else would be pure speculation.

Excellent.  So what *evidence* do you have that the CPS did not identify
a criminal act in Ms Grey's behaviour and that this was detailed, at
length, in court?

Similarly, what *evidence* do you have that all six of the points
detailed above are true?

No speculation now, Norman, as you are so set against it.

>> Do you not believe that the prosecution will have gone to great pains
>> to detail the precise criminal act of which Ms Grey was accused?  Do
>> you not believe they will have broken down the act to its constituent
>> parts?  Do you not believe that they will have compared Ms Grey's
>> actions to each of the elements of the crime to ensure that each
>> element was proven?
>
> It should have done.  It's just very odd that no-one has come out and
> said exactly what.  All we've had are hints, nudges and winks, and all
> of those have hinted at or suggested assault without actually being
> specific.  No-one has even hinted at what you're now alleging.

"It *should* have done."  Did it, or didn't it, Norman?  No speculating.
  We want the facts and only the facts.

If you don't have the facts, and are so set against speculation, then I
suggest you have little, if anything, to contribute and the discussion
is at an end.

>> In the name of balance, do you not also believe that the defence will
>> have tried to disprove each element or avail of defences for each
>> element and the overall crime?
>
> It should have done.

"It *should* have done."  Did it, or didn't it?  Etc.

>> That these details haven't been reported doesn't mean they didn't happen.
>
> If they did, it's again very strange that they haven't been reported.

No it isn't.  I have a very low opinion of media reporting on legal
cases and I'm surprised your "knowledge" and "experience" hasn't led you
to a similar conclusion.

Reporters frequently focus on details that are legally irrelevant and
highlight trivia, if that's what they think their readers want to know.

In the instant case, the BBC started their coverage of the case with a
reporter in court producing a summary of the day's events.  But it must
not have received sufficient traffic, or the reporter was deployed
elsewhere on something they considered more sellable, as the reporting
simply stopped.