Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<u7ckf9$11dkk$1@dont-email.me>

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Getting Windows ready
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 14:12:55 -0400

On 6/26/2023 12:30 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I get this every time I try to close down.
> It seems on go on forever.
> What on earth is it doing?
> Can I stop whatever it is?
>
> TIA

In Updates and Security, check your Update History table.

An update is trying to install, and is failing.

It is trying to reinstall during shutdown.

*******

Another thing. Run "winver" and report your version.

You can "lock" the version using InControl. Your "winver"
info, tells you where you are currently. My guess is, you're
at 21H2 and the machine is trying and trying, to do 22H2.

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm

In the example in the picture on the GRC page, it's set to
Windows 10 21H2. Whereas the very latest is 22H2.

The mapping from the "winver" number to the Release, is here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

1909  November 2019 Update      18363

2004  May 2020 Update           19041
20H2  October 2020 Update       19042
21H1  May 2021 Update           19043
21H2  November 2021 Update      19044
22H2  2022 Update               19045  <=== it could be trying to do this one!

*******

In Power Shell, as administrator

    get-windowsupdatelog

I figured out the name, by using tab-completion, which sorta works
in Powershell. When it runs, it will dump a text file on your desktop.

While your Update History gives some info, you can also poke around
the newly-generated "WindowsUpdate.log" on the desktop.

*******

There is no reason to assume, based on evidence, that something is
actually broken. It could be, that the VM environment is minus some
needed thing, and that's blowing up the version attempt. While you
can find articles exhorting you to run DISM and SFC, I don't immediately
leap for those.

*******

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-logs

    Windows Setup log files analysis using SetupDiag tool

    SetupDiag is a diagnostic tool that can be used for analysis of logs related
    to installation of Windows Updates. For detailed information, see SetupDiag.

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag

Power likely to drop soon. That is all.

    Paul