Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uur1eu$1vq13$2@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Fwd: Backup power supply
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:34:38 +0100

On 05/04/2024 06:46, Richard Falken wrote:
>    Re: Fwd: Backup power supply
>    By: Lars Poulsen to Ahem A Rivet's Shot on Fri Apr 05 2024 02:08 pm
>
>   > I read this and feel first-world superiority for having last year
>   > installed a 14kW Generac system, powered by our municipal natural gas
>   > supply. In case of a power outage, it kicks in within about 10 seconds.
>
> My house is completly offgriddable because it has a 6 kW PV array, a 6kW diesel
> generator and a battery bank worth 15 kWh (which is way more electricity than
> my house uses up in a day).
>
> Switching power sources caries 0 downtime. The controller is automatable.
>
> I'd argue something like this is the proper way of running an uninterrupted
> supply of power for home but I also think this is way out of the scope of the
> discussion. Nobody in their right mind spend 20 kilobucks in a supply system
> for a computer worth 80 bucks.
> --
> gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

It also amuses me how people think that the electricity that powers
their homes is all the energy footprint they have.

I wonder how many lumps of coal a typical Raspberry Pi burns in its
manufacture and shipment.

Or how much diesel goes into the organic vegetable basket they buy...

--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of

Dennis Miller