Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv89c1$1itcl$1@dont-email.me>

From: Pancho <Pancho.Jones@proton.me>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: relay modules?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:09:21 +0100

On 10/04/2024 11:50, Mike Scott wrote:
> Hi all. Two separate projects which will need a relay of some sort to
> run from a Pi or similar.
>
> I'm really looking for something plug-and-go rather than build-your-own
> (especially item 2 below)
>
> First is a dpdt relay to switch around 12-20 V at a couple of amps. spdt
> are easy to come by; the only dpdt ones I've found are on aliexpress,
> but their longevity is possibly open to question :-{
>
> Second is something to switch mains safely - a full 13A to run a 3kW
> heater. I've drawn a blank: best I can think of is to butcher one of
> those wireless mains switch modules, which would at least provide a good
> isolation gap :-)

I've got lots of the wireless mains plug/sockets. I felt that my
competence level demanded a good isolation gap ;-).

Generally they have been good. A couple of caveats:

1) Try to get ones with Tasmota pre-installed (Some are flashable, but
this can be difficult). i.e. This gives you control purely in your own
LAN. You don't want to rely on some cloud service in China.

2) I have seen comments about them breaking at high wattage. I have used
one on a 2.4 kW fan heater. It worked fine, but that was for short
periods, not all day, every day.