Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv8bkg$1k8fn$3@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Fwd: Backup power supply
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:48:00 +0100

On 10/04/2024 14:15, Lars Poulsen wrote:
> On 4/6/2024 1:32 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 05/04/2024 22:08, Lars Poulsen wrote:
>>> On 15/03/2024 10:51, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>>>  >>     Make that 5 minutes * 500W/5W or 500 minutes which is indeed a
>>>  >> long time but a lot shorter than the 150 hours you were expecting.
>>>
>>> On 3/15/2024 6:43 AM, druck wrote:
>>>  > If you want 150 hours, you need to be looking at a backup generator,
>>>  > so your UPS only needs to last as long as it takes for your generator
>>>  > to fire up.
>>>  >
>>>  > That's usually a couple of minutes for professional diesel ones, but
>>>  > as its home setup it might take you a few minutes to connect it up
>>> and
>>>  > pull the starter cord on a cheap petrol one.
>>>  >
>>>  > It might then take a few more minutes to drain the tank of the sludge
>>>  > that used to be fuel last time you used it, and to run to the garage
>>>  > to get some fresh petrol.
>>>  >
>>>  > It might take a few more minutes if your spark plugs have been fouled
>>>  > as you didn't clean it after use, and your air filter has a hundred
>>>  > different types of bugs living it.
>>>  >
>>>  > So make sure the UPS lasts an hour or 2.
>>>  >
>>>  > Oh and once you've managed to get it going, and it's making a
>>>  > tremendous racket, just remember everyone else in the neighbourhood
>>>  > who is without power will be turning to look in your direction...
>>>
>>> I read this and feel first-world superiority for having last year
>>> installed a 14kW Generac system, powered by our municipal natural gas
>>> supply. In case of a power outage, it kicks in within about 10
>>> seconds. When the grid comes back up, it syncs the AC to the grid
>>> before pulling the relay to reconnect. And every other Wednesday, it
>>> tests itself for 10 minutes, synchronizing before going off-grid as
>>> well as before going back on-grid.
>>> In case the muni gas is down, my electrician will come over and
>>> install the propane conversion kit. (I don't have a good place to
>>> keep propane tanks.)
>>>
>>> -- Lars
>>
>> I think I will print a small nuclear reactor on my 3D printer and go
>> off grid entirely :-) :-)
>>
> How large is your 3 printer? Do you know of a power generator that fits
> in a cubic foot? (Thermal, maybe? like what NASA uses for inerplanetary
> probes?)

Actually a sort of cast iron range stove filled with decay products that
would do about 20kW thermal, and boil enough water for a 20KW steam
turbine style alternator would be ideal.

I could feed the grid with surplus power.....

--
I was brought up to believe that you should never give offence if you
can avoid it; the new culture tells us you should always take offence if

Sir Roger Scruton