Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<zudKzZHLbTtkFwW3@255soft.uk>

From: "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Windows 7 maximised apps overlap taskbar (apps are hidden *behind* the taskbar)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 13:40:43 +0100

In message <u934f8$14biq$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:17:28,
NY <me@privacy.invalid> writes
>Ok, I know I should upgrade my Win 7 PC to Win 10. That would be a lot
>of effort, reinstalling and reconfiguring things *when* (not *if*) the
>upgrade process gets it wrong. Let's get that discussion out of the way
>first!
>
>I've just noticed that the bottom of maximised windows (Firefox, MS
>Office apps, Windows Explorer etc) have started being hidden behind the
>taskbar (which is at the bottom, with auto-hide turned off). This never
>used to happen. I'm not aware of anything I've changed.
>
>Just to reiterate: the taskbar is on top; a lot of the articles I've
>seen about this symptom have the app on top of the taskbar.
>
>It's a nuisance if I hover over a web link in Firefox because the URL
>that pops up at the bottom is off the screen, and the tab names in an
>Excel spreadsheet are similarly off-screen.
>
>I've tried right-clicking on the taskbar, changing its position from
>"bottom" to "top" and back again, which some people suggested might fix
>it. Not for me.
>
>Any suggestions?

Not really. Is your taskbar unusual in any way? I have a double-height
one (two rows of "buttons", if that's the right word for the things it
contains corresponding to open software or pinned things), and this does
cause some softwares to have problems. It's consistent though - only the
same softwares sometimes have problems with it. Yours, as it sounds as
if it's happened suddenly, is probably a different cause. I was going to
suggest maybe it's a recent update to the software(s), but you say Excel
too, which I imagine hasn't been updated recently (if you're using W7, I
presume you're not using Office 365 or whatever it's called this week).

As for moving to W10 - noting you've posted here and only here, there
are plenty of us who have no intention of doing so, in some cases ever,
in other cases on current hardware. (Your concerns about the - for
normal users - unstoppable "up"grade process causing problems are
_probably_ mitigating somewhat - I think 10 is approaching where XP and
7 were/are, i. e. only bugfixes, but I still wouldn't change a W7
machine to W10.)

Paxman, the man who has never used one sneer when three would do
- Elizabeth Day, RT 2015/5/2-8