Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v294e1$1a3tk$22@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: True on the basis of meaning --- Good job Richard ! ---Socratic
 method
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 22:40:01 -0400
 <v1rhff$31ege$1@dont-email.me> <v1rhqr$qvg2$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v1rj05$31n8h$2@dont-email.me> <v1rkt4$qvg2$4@i2pn2.org>
 <v1rlj7$324ln$2@dont-email.me> <v1rn85$qvg3$12@i2pn2.org>
 <v1s25g$38fdl$1@dont-email.me> <v1ssv3$qvg3$15@i2pn2.org>
 <v1ta68$3hc9t$1@dont-email.me> <v1ub9v$v37v$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v1ugp1$3tnr6$1@dont-email.me> <v1uie1$v37v$16@i2pn2.org>
 <v23p6n$17u5o$1@dont-email.me> <v23ppq$15g3d$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v23qcc$17u5o$2@dont-email.me> <v23ra5$15fgo$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v242un$1cdll$1@dont-email.me> <v24qsq$16nbi$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v253g6$1jo3l$1@dont-email.me> <v26fe6$18ad7$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v26g9v$1vvq8$2@dont-email.me> <v26gtr$18ad7$13@i2pn2.org>
 <v26ie2$20f8s$1@dont-email.me> <v26iuo$18ad7$15@i2pn2.org>
 <v26k8e$20nen$1@dont-email.me> <v27fpj$18ad7$16@i2pn2.org>
 <v27pp4$27tqp$1@dont-email.me> <v28v14$1a3tk$19@i2pn2.org>
 <v28vsb$2f45l$1@dont-email.me> <v290i2$1a3tk$21@i2pn2.org>
 <v2937a$2jfci$1@dont-email.me>

On 5/17/24 10:19 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/17/2024 8:33 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Not at all. Your version of the Truth Teller paradox has
>>> the conventional lack of a truth object as the Liar Paradox
>>> and the Truth Teller paradox: What are they true about?
>>
>> In other words, you logic doesn't have an absolute idea of truth!!!
>>

> It does have an immutably correct notion of {true on the basis
> of meaning} and rejects finite strings as not truth bearers on
> this basis.

Nope, because you said the value of "true" doesn't exist, truth is
dependent on having something to make true.

>> The object that made the statement true, was that True(L, p) said that
>> p wasn't true.
>>

> *You agreed that True(L, p) is false and False(L,p) is false*
> *You agreed that True(L, p) is false and False(L,p) is false*
> *You agreed that True(L, p) is false and False(L,p) is false*

Yes, which makes True(L, a sentence proven to be true) to be false.

Thus, it is inconsistant.

Or we can use the arguement that since

p is ~True(L, p) which is false that p is alse ~True(L, ~True(L, p)
which, since True(L, p) is "established" to be false, and thus
~True(L,p) to be true, we can say that True(L, ~True(L, p) must be true
and thus p, being not that is false.

So, we can prove that p is both false and true, and thus your system is
BY DEFINITION inconsistant.

>>> This sentence is true.
>>> What is it true about?
>>> It is true about being true.
>>> What is it is true about being true about?
>>>
>>> This turns out to be Kripke ungrounded yet Kripke did
>>> not know the algorithmic basis for Kripke grounding.
>>>
>>> *Outline of a Theory of Truth Saul Kripke* (1975)
>>> https://www.impan.pl/~kz/truthseminar/Kripke_Outline.pdf

>>> All that you pointed out is that you still don't understand
>>> the Truth Teller paradox.
>>
>> No, YOU don't understand that True MUST be a truth beared, or you are
>> just a liar that your system has a Truth Predicate.
>>

>> Remember, we started with
>>
>> p in L is ~True(L, p)
>> you say True(L, p) is false
>
> *No you said this* (Socratic question)

No, YOU said it first, and I agreed.

What else are you going to make it?

(Socratic reply question)

>> thus the truth value of p MUST be true, since it is not the falseness
>> of True(L, p)
>>

> We test p for True or False if neither it is tossed out on its ass.
>
> It is like we are testing if a person is hungry:
> We ask is the person dead? The answer is yes and then you
> say what if they are still hungry?

RED HERRINBG.

Since you have claimed that True(L, p) is false, by the stipulated
definition of p, it MUST be a true statement, and thus you have
stiplated that True(L, <a statement proven to be true>) turns out to be
false (since that statement IS p), and thus you system is

>> Thus we can say that p is also the equivalent in L of
>>

> We sure as Hell cannot correctly say that.

Why not?

> *THE ONE LEVEL OF INDIRECT REFERENCE CHANGES EVERYTHING*
> *THE ONE LEVEL OF INDIRECT REFERENCE CHANGES EVERYTHING*
> *THE ONE LEVEL OF INDIRECT REFERENCE CHANGES EVERYTHING*

In other words, you system doesn't allow the assignement of a statement
to have a refenece to itself, which is one of the criteria in Tarski.

>> ~True(L, ~True(L, p))
>
> ~True(English, ~True(English, "a fish")) is true
> ~True(English, ~True(English, "This sentence is not true")) is true
> ~True(English, ~True(English, "This sentence is true")) is true

Nope, "This statment is true" is different then the statement:

P, in L, is defined as ~True(L, P)

It it just

P in L is defined as "P is not true."

The difference is the statement P is not true has the possibility of
being a non-truth bearer, but the predicate True(L, p) doesn't have that
option.

>> Which since we showed that True(L, p) was false, that means that the
>> outer True predicate sees a true statement (since it is the negation
>> of a false statement)
>
> ~True(English, ~True(English, "a fish")) is true

Yep.