Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<1qrsilx.5w68h73o0kh2N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Philips TL-S bulbs
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:44:52 +0100

Mike Mocha <mocha@mailexcite.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have an old rail car design that used ballast-free florescent tubes in a
> 600 VDC circuit; bulbs used in series with power resistors, the circuit
> basically put 100 VDC or 60 VDC over each bulb.  There's no AC source on
> the car.

I think those tubes needed special switches to reverse the polarity each
time they were switched on.  This was to prevent darkening of one end of
the tube after a few hours, caused by migration of the mercury.  You may
have to replace the switchgear if you fit inverter-powered lamps.

If you contact a tramcar manufacturer, they should be able to put you in
touch with some companies that supply modern lighting equipment for 600
VDC.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk