Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<664a2639$0$10525$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: =?UTF-8?Q?St=C3=A9phane?= CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr>
Subject: Re: =?UTF-8?Q?Syst=C3=A8me?= D
Date: 19 May 2024 16:18:01 GMT

Le 19-05-2024, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> a écrit :
> On 19 May 2024 10:25:07 GMT, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>

>> But a useful workstation can be improved greatly with service
>> management.
>>

> How so?
>
> The purpose of a workstation is to run software.

Not only and some softwares needs services. For the not only parts, I
want to be able to [un]plug easily a USB key/drive, a mouse, a printer, the
WiFi, well anything I didn't plugged before starting my computer. And
for the softwares, when they run in docker, the service need to be
started. A lot of things like the logs are very well managed thanks to a
service.

> If my software requires a "service," I can manage it myself.

I'm not that sure about that. And if you manage to start it
automatically at the boot time, you won't be able to see when, a service
crashes and need a restart.

For example I remember when a few weeks/months ago you had issues with
your ntpd service. You are the only one I know who were able to break
it. That tells a lot.

>> And systemd is very good at it.
>
> Anything that requires 3 million lines of code to do
> its job cannot be described as "good."

So you are publicly telling everyone here the Linux kernel cannot be
described as good. I won't say that I'm surprised because it's not the
first time you don't understand your claims.

>> write something that does everything that
>> systemd is good at without his issues.
>>

> I already have written an init/service management system.

Yes, I know, it manages to display a useless black screen. You can be
proud of it.

> It is customized for my needs only.

Yes, your needs are only to be able to fail compiling your kernel.

> GNU/Linux makes this possible for me and for everyone else,

Yes, everyone else can have more expectation from his or her computer
than you. I have nothing against your limited needs/capabilities. The
issue with you is you consider others needs as invalids.

> but systemd threatens to destroy the possibility for everyone.

Nope. You just don't know how systemd works.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io