Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<878r1uuiej.fsf_-_@tudado.org>

From: Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: on levels of disappointment (Was: Re: Lisp history: IF, etc.)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 20:37:56 -0300
	<uu6om5$cmv8$1@dont-email.me> <20240329101248.556@kylheku.com>
	<uu6t9h$dq4d$1@dont-email.me> <20240329104716.777@kylheku.com>
	<uu8p02$uebm$1@dont-email.me> <20240330112105.553@kylheku.com>
	<uudrfg$2cskm$1@dont-email.me> <87r0fp8lab.fsf@tudado.org>
	<uuehdj$2hshe$1@dont-email.me> <87wmpg7gpg.fsf@tudado.org>
	<LISP-20240402085115@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
	<20240402084057.881@kylheku.com>
	<86h6gjpq3i.fsf_-_@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<m3frw2vlok.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>
	<86cyr6pb2l.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<20240403134752.491@kylheku.com>
	<864jcioz0a.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<20240403160807.556@kylheku.com> <20240403161243.959@kylheku.com>

Kaz Kylheku <643-408-1753@kylheku.com> writes:

> On 2024-04-03, Kaz Kylheku <643-408-1753@kylheku.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-04-03, Alan Bawden <alan@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>>> Kaz Kylheku <643-408-1753@kylheku.com> writes:
>>>    If you think about it, it's actually kind of ignorant to invent a
>>>    programming language with imperative if statements, but in which where
>>>    the math conditional is missing.
>>>
>>> If you think like a historian, you don't describe this as "ignorant".
>>> It's just not something that was above the horizon in the mind set of
>>> the time.  After all, that mathematical notation you are referring to
>>> isn't something that mathematicians get very formal about.
>>
>> That is a fair observation; roughly speaking, higher languages first
>> evolved from that of the machine.  Why we have an if /statement/ is that
>> the machine has testing and branching in its instruction set, which are
>> also statements. The imperative language that works by jumping around
>> and shuffling mainly word-sized quantities inside a Von Neumann machine
>> is an abstraction of machine language, not an abstraction of functions.
>>
>> The abstraction of machine language isn't ignorant, it's just different.
>
> But, right, okay; I lost a thoguht I had some hours earlier about this.
> By the time we have a higher level language inspired by math formulas in
> which you can do A * B + C, and define math-like functions, you would
> think that the right synapse would fire between the right two brain
> cells, so that a value-yielding conditional would be supplied.  When you
> have translation of arithmetic formulas to machine language, the scene
> is ripe for such an operator. So maybe ignorance is a strong word, but
> there is a margin for disappointment.

But it's not the same disappointment as in having to use JIRA, right? :-)

  ``Writing bug reports on napkins and keeping them crumpled in a large
  black garbage bag is better than this fucking piece of crap called
  JIRA.'' -- Kaz Kylheku, 2016.

(*) Full source

From: Kaz Kylheku <221-50...@kylheku.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.linux,comp.programming,comp.software-eng
Subject: Re: Favourite Software Development Tools for Teams?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 02:21:29 +0000 (UTC)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.programming.]