Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<half-20240726134233@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...
Date: 26 Jul 2024 12:45:19 GMT

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>I once jotted down something like
>ˈɹʷʊˑuɿ ᵊɹ̩
>and this guy was like, "I don't think that 'u' is stressed!".

|>>»law and order« /ˈlσːəndˈσːɹdəɹ/ [ˈlɔˑʚɻən(d)ˈσƍdʌ].
|In the phonetic transcription, indicating two syllables
|before the intrusive r is completely wrong
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter T. Daniels on 2018-01-07 15:39:25+00:00 in alt.usage.english,
Subject: Wisconsin accent?

  Dude's totally not grokking the [ɔˑʚ] sitch. He's barking up
  the wrong tree, thinking there are two syllables supposed to
  be before that sneaky R. Newsflash: it's actually a diphthong
  deal, with the front end dragging its feet a bit!

  Then he's got the cojones to throw shade at Luciano Canepari (see
  below). But get this - our boy Peter once dropped this nugget:

|Came out fine on my screen. Yes, of all the variants listed there, that's
|the one that seems most apt. Unfortunately it takes a diacritic and
|another diacritic, where it ought to be a unit symbol like the others.
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter T. Daniels on 2014-04-16 04:22:49+00:00 in alt.usage.english,
Subject: Eggcorns and self referential sets

  That's exactly Canepari's M.O. - swapping out those fancy-pants
  diacritics for plain Jane characters.

  Now, circle back and peep that OG quote from the top, but this
  time, it's the director's cut. No edits, baby.

|On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 3:03:50 AM UTC-5, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

|> >   Canepari says that the typical New-York accent is
|> >   non-rhotic, and "thus" has linking r and is prone to
|> >   intrusive r practice. As an example he gives:
|> >   »law and order« /ˈlσːəndˈσːɹdəɹ/ [ˈlɔˑʚɻən(d)ˈσƍdʌ].
|>
|> That may have been true once, but, if I remember rightly, the late
|> lamented Larry Traske, who grew up in rural New York, said that it was
|> in the process of disappearing during his childhood: he said that he
|> himself spoke the old way, but his younger brother didn't.
|
|Who?
|
|What does "rural New York" mean? As was discussed just yesterday,  New York State comprises three
|very distinct dialect areas: New York City (with Long Island), Hudson Valley, and Midwest.
|There are no "rural" areas with New York City dialect.
|
|Canepari's notation is idiosyncratic, to say the least, but the "phonemic" transcription is anything
|but -- long vowels do not occur in closed syllables. PHONEMICALLY. In the phonetic transcription,
|indicating two syllables before the intrusive r is completely wrong, and the (d) is highly unlikely
|to say the least.
Peter T. Daniels on 2018-01-07 15:39:25+00:00 in alt.usage.english,