Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<la2eo1F94quU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Find "py.exe" & copy it to "Python" (flat, no extension).
Date: 8 May 2024 23:04:34 GMT

On Wed, 8 May 2024 20:53:05 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On Wed, 8 May 2024 10:31:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> "Compared to 2020, Linux and macOS popularity decreased by 5 percentage
>> points each, while Windows usage has risen by 10 percentage points."
>>
>> Linux    63%
>> Windows  58%
>> macOS    25%
>> BSD       2%
>> Other     1%
>>
>> https://lp.jetbrains.com/python-developers-survey-2021/
>
> Nothing newer? A lot of those trying to develop with Python on Windows
> have probably given up by now.

https://developers.arcgis.com/python/

If nothing else the GIS community is using it. It has pretty much replaced
the C++/C# ArcObjects approach used through 10.8.  Installing the Esri
products installs Python, 2.7 for 10.8 and 3.9 for 11.x.

That is only one use of Python on Windows.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/python/beginners

It's interesting they recommend using WSL if you're going to be doing web
development. I use node or angular for web development so I don't have any
feeling for why that is.

> Also, on Linux, we have a wider choice of environments besides
> JetBrains.

The world is a little bigger than PyCharm and most of the environments are
cross-platform. For years I used gVim on both Windows and Linux. I've
tried PyCharm and Spyder and didn't really care for PyCharm.  Spyder is
installed with Anaconda if you go that route. Currently I use VSCode in
conjunction with gVim, again cross-platform.

I've used Thonny, mainly because it can handle boards like the Raspberry
Pi Pico W plugged into a USB port but prefer VSCode with the MicroPython
extension.

I gave up on Eclipse a long time ago but I think some people still use it.
I also was always underwhelmed by IDLE. I've used Jupyter. Notebooks are
useful particularly for tutorials but I wouldn't consider it a real IDE.

I prefer Linux overall but why you discount the use of Python on Windows
escapes me. iirc the only problem I've run into was with PySide6 in the
conda environment, which was easily solved by installing straight Python
3.12.