Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usqlq7$hnqa$4@dont-email.me>

From: FPP <fredp1571@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: OT: Question for Anim
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:43:19 -0400

On 3/12/24 5:50 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 3/12/24 2:59 AM, FPP wrote:

>>> Well, I’ve been retired for a few years now and just doing consulting
>>> and
>>> kibitzing so I really can’t speak to what I would use if I were going to
>>> start over.
>>>
>>> But in my day, the people that actually did the work did it on Macs or
>>> Linux and the people who thought they did the work, but were  just in
>>> the
>>> way used windows.
>>>
>>> There’s a school of thought that “cheaper is better“ regardless of
>>> anything
>>> else. And those are the people that always wanted us to use windows.
> [...]
>>> electric image for years and the big award-winning Intel inside
>>> commercials
>>> that everybody loved were done on Macs because the windows Intel
>>> machines
>>> couldn’t run electric image!  Linker systems, animation stand, which was
>>> the big deal for coloring and animating traditional cel animation, same
>>> notation. Mac only.
>>>
>>> Similar notations for audio editing and production.
>>>
>>> When I switched over to Maxon Cinema, 4D, because electric image got
>>> destroyed by evil Ukrainians there was a larger penetration of Windows
>>> users, but the serious version of the software and the serious users
>>> of the
>>> software were still all Apple based.
>>>
>>> About the only things we couldn’t use were MAX and MAYA. MAYA finally
>>> came
>>> around. Then there was light wave, which I never liked for a moment.
>>> I told
>>> the guys at IIRC zoic who were doing firefly, and the new Battlestar
>>> Galactica, and the company was saying it was all done on lightwave that
>>> while Galactically sucked firefly was by far the best light wave I’d
>>> ever
>>> seen. They laughed and fessed up that lightwave never got anywhere near
>>> firefly; that was all Maya. Galactica was done by their B and C team in
>>> lightwave, copying as best they could stylistically what the A-Team was
>>> doing with Maya on firefly.
>>>

>> You know what really made VHS more popular than Beta?  In the early
>> days, VHS had a longer run time. Beta didn't.
>>
>>> Betamax’s ultimate demise was the shortage in recording times. A
>>> longer film, or even the average sports game, would have to be
>>> separated into at least two cassettes for the Betamax. But do you
>>> know why Sony intentionally kept the cassettes small?
>>> The cassette design was inspired by its predecessor U-matic. U-matic
>>> had a recording time of only one hour. But since broadcasters were
>>> the main user group of the U-matic, they never expressed any concerns
>>> because studios had multiple machines running and typically had
>>> commercial breaks separating recordings.
>>
>>> Based off these trends, Sony believed one hour cassettes would
>>> suffice. They even dubbed the small size as “convenient” compared to
>>> the larger VHS tapes. Even the Betamax’s longest cassette, the L-830
>>> tape, could only run for a maximum five hours versus VHS which
>>> started creating tapes covering up to ten and a half hours of film.
>>> Size does matter, and in this case the bigger the better.
>>> Consequently, VHS took over the market as the standard home recording
>>> device.
>>

>> Since most movies used to clock in at 2 hours and under, VHS was a no
>> brainer.
>

> I'm not sure how this is a discussion.  The only analog format left
> standing is vinyl.  Hell shellac records are still playable.  Analog
> consumer video tape is unwatchable by today's standards.  So is Anim8r's

There are people who pay big money for old VHS movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKVLL0RcII

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible  25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0