Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usramv$pf88$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-09 (Saturday)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 04:39:59 -0000 (UTC)

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 3/12/24 7:27 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>"CSI"?

>>CSI was filmed for 16:9, I think from the beginning.

>>Various Panavision cameras, 35 mm film

>>>"Babes of Prey"?

>>4:3

>>Arricam ST and Arricam 435. Both are 35 mm film systems.

>>>I doubt either were "filmed", but both were HD.

>>Both were filmed. Ian, you're not listening.

>Try not to be tedious, Adam. I was listening. I just don't know off-hand
>which shows were filmed and which were shot on tape.

You could see with your own eyes. If the quality was better, then it was
filmed on movie film. But I confirmed it with IMDb.

>For instance, I didn't list "Smallville", as I am pretty sure that show
>was filmed.

35 mm on a variety of Kodak/Eastman cameras. Super 35 3-perf pulldown
which saves film and results in an image of approximately 16:9.

IMDb sez video "positive film print" for broadcast, 16:9 anamorphic NTSC
for season 1, and HDTV for the remaining seasons.

Perhaps "printing directly to broadcast-quality video" without first
creating an intermediate print on positive film wasn't practical in the
late '90s.