Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu28jd$9f8$1@panix2.panix.com>

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Babel
Date: 27 Mar 2024 23:03:09 -0000

Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>Tim Illingworth <tim@smofs.org> wrote:
>> Cryptoengineer wrote:
>>> Regardless of nigglined edge cases, the point remains.  Russia has
>>> been invaded many times in history, while the US mainland has not.
>
>> December 1814 not count?
>
>I think you mean August of that year.  More recently there was an
>invasion of Pennsylvania in June and July 1863.

1814 definitely counts, although we really needed a new capitol building
anyway.

The 1863 invasion is kind of a special case because it depends on whether
you define the invaders as US citizens or not.  Since the war was about
who was a citizen and who wasn't, and the US won, I think it fair to define
them as rebellious citizens.  My Confederate-supporting high school history
teacher would not do so, however.

>Some might also count January 2021.  Is it an invasion of all
>participants were US citizens?  One person there was carrying the
>flag of the nation (not US state) of Georgia, though he was probably
>just confused.

Does not count, for the same reason that 1863 unpleasantness doesn't.
--scott