Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu5075$3sm12$1@dont-email.me>

From: Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Babel
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:58:28 -0400

On 3/28/2024 7:04 PM, Gary McGath wrote:
> On 3/28/24 12:21 PM, Paul S Person wrote:
>
>> As to Jan 6 2021 -- if Trump is/was, in fact, an agent of Putin (as
>> many of his supporters appear to be, given their eagerness to gift
>> Putin Ukraine), then it was not an insurrection -- it was treason,
>> pure and simple.
>
> So now opposition to US foreign policy is "treason." I've heard that
> line too often before. "Love it or leave it."

Trump wasn't opposing US foreign policy. He was opposing the counting
of electoral votes, using a violent mob, because the normal operation
of government was going to put him out of power. At very least,
that's insurrection.

I really doubt that Trump actually takes orders from Moscow, but
he does seem to admire Putin, and its possible that Putin has
kompromat on him, which bends his actions even if not given
explicit instructions.

Looking at the actual law, 18 USC Ch. 115: TREASON, SEDITION, AND
SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES says:

§2381. Treason
Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them OR
[helps enemies of the US] Shal <punishments>

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=%2Fprelim%40title18%2Fpart1%2Fchapter115&edition=prelim

With that, I think you can argue that Trumps actions *might* meet the
clause before the OR. In that case, yes, he committed treason.

pt