Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuhu5a$3erm2$1@dont-email.me>

From: Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: NPC classes
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:43:03 -0700

On 4/2/2024 1:58 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
> I recently was rethinking the use of NPC classes in my (mostly
> OSR-style) games. Previously I had dismissed them as unsuccessful
> attempts at making overpowered PC classes. But reading them "as written"
> they make much more sense as human boss monsters in a lot of cases.
>
> I specifically mean stuff like e.g. Lew Pulsipher's Necromancer class,
> which is a terrible class for players (it demands human sacrifices of
> increasing specificity to advance), but does actually make more sense
> when used as a maybe recurring human antagonist who keeps getting
> stronger as over the course of a PCs career.
>
> I also looked at the Witch class from Dragon magazine but find that one
> oddly lacking.
>
> What are your preferred NPC classes, if any?

I never used any in AD&D.  Pretty much whatever's fair for the PCs is
fair for the NPCs as well and vice versa.  I do think I remember letting
someone use the Archer one time, but that didn't turn out well, because
of course it was the resident rules-lawyer/power-gamer.

I only even let any of the UA classes be used one time, not so much
because Barbarian and Cavalier were overpowered, but because they were
written in such a way that they didn't work well with the normal makeup
of a party (Barbarians hating magic users and cavaliers having to Leroy
Jenkins all threats.)

The races I didn't like as they were obviously power creep.

I did use the 3e NPC classes a few times for NPCs, but it was rare and
not particularly memorable.  Those NPC classes were far less dangerous
than a normal PC of the same level though.

5e NPC monsters are kind of like/hate.  I like that they're easier to
handle than full characters, hate that we have to use pared down
versions of PCs because PCs are too complicated.

--
-Justisaur

  ø-ø
(\_/)\