Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv79u2$18mn2$2@dont-email.me>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: GuhNoo: World's Biggest Technical Leecher
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 00:12:51 -0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 17:55:19 -0400, Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote in
<9k2e1jd7qqo27t930m1g3k8beu5j7m58gg@4ax.com>:

> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>Joel wrote:

>>> Ridiculous.
>>
>>That shameless jackass doesn't deserve a response.  He's self-nuking.
>

> I wouldn't dispute that, but it is worth saying again that the
> community has achieved something beyond just copying Unix.

I think the only commercial UNIX®️ around now is MacOS.

I think Linux has kind of carved its own niche at this point,
it's a POSIX OS, a "Unix" with many useful extensions.  Hell,
we relied on Linux's superior fork(2) (to SunOS) COW implementation on
our RADIUS servers -- in 1992.  Each RADIUS request was fork'ed, carrying
along with it the entire user database...only, the OS just marked those
pages copy-on-write, so there was no copying the entire memory space for
the new process.  (SunOS _did_ have vfork(), but Linux's fork(2) was still
better.)  Linus may have stood on the shoulders of giants, but he
is a genius, no doubt.

When we picked Linux to base our services on, we picked a
winner -- and it's _everywhere_ now.  It's infrastructure:
RADIUS servers, DHCP servers, routers, name
servers -- hell, it's on my _phone_.

("But muh desktop runs Windows!" -- well, good for you.)

--
-v