Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0fq01$2mrfi$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

From: Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: [NBC Miami] 36-year-old makes $37,000 a year leading Dungeons &
 Dragons games
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 10:38:30 +0200

On 4/25/2024 11:32 PM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 4/25/2024 10:49 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
>>

> tl;dr: wanna live of dnd? her husband makes 90.000$ a year. In other
> words: marry rich
>
> My wife makes that, I made 70k last year, but where we live to get that
> is expensive, we're in a tiny 70's house (about 1000 sq ft.) that's
> falling apart, needs probably 150k, maybe more in deferred maintenance
> from the previous owners, and 2 kids in a just so-so neighborhood & school.
>

> Source:
> https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/business/money-report/36-year-old-makes-37000-a-year-leading-dungeons-dragons-games-if-youre-doing-it-anyway-you-might-as-well-get-paid/3294720/
>
> 36-year-old makes $37,000 a year leading Dungeons & Dragons games: If
> ‘you're doing it anyway, you might as well' get paid
> By Mike Winters,CNBC and Raffi Paul,CNBC...
>
> ...in-person tabletop roleplaying game sessions that range from $375 to
> $750...
>
> Is that per person?  Probably not, if not that's about $15 per hour
> minimum for players assuming 5 person games.   If her games take 15
> hours (as is said later) between prep and play she should be getting
> about $25 an hour.
>
> ...She makes $24,000 as a dungeon master for the company, plus another
> $13,000 teaching writing at nearby Westminster University in Salt Lake
> City, where she lives with her husband, Scott. He makes $96,000 as a
> communications director at a state agency.
>
> A little discrepancy there.  She really makes $24k from DMing... for
> another company.  Sounds like she's getting screwed on pay.
>
> "That really opened the doors to networking for other types of work,
> because when people were looking for a writer who could do fiction at a
> professional level, my name would start coming up," says Murdock.
> Getting hired as a professional Dungeon Master
>
> $24k isn't really opening the doors for anything.
>

> Even if she didn't do it for a living, Murdock says she'd still be
> planning D&D campaigns for friends, reading game books or writing fiction.
>
> Since hobbies can become side hustles, "it's important to remember that
> creative work is work," she says.
>
> As a friend once said to her: "You're going to be doing it anyway, you
> might as well find someone to pay you for it."
>
> And that's how you turn your hobby into a chore.
>
> "I run about three games a week on a busy week," says Murdock. Each
> ongoing game, including prep, takes about four to five hours a week of
> her time.
>
> 24k for 15 hrs a week, assuming a couple weeks off a year she's making
> $3.20 an hour?!?  Maybe there's some overhead like venue, scheduling
> done by someone else or something, but she's really getting screwed at
> that rate!
>
> In June 2023, Mari and Scott purchased a detached two-bedroom home in
> downtown Salt Lake City for $535,000, with a down payment of $40,000. To
> afford the home, they took on a personal loan within their family, which
> [...]

I mean, I have absolutely nothing against her doing it like that. But
this article is supposedly about how millenials use their money, and
frankly, this is someone having a small side hustle while her husband
earns the money, and they are getting a no-interest loan from her
family. That's all... great for them, but what about people who don't
have a spouse that can support them doing their hobbies or have a family
that can support them?

And yeah, it's not a good use of her time if earning money is her goal.

It's one of those typical articles about how well millenials have it in
a lot of ways.

Anyway, the old maxim about making your hobby your job is that then you
won't have a free day for the rest of your life...

--
microblog:   https://dice.camp/@kyonshi
macroblog:   https://gmkeros.wordpress.com