Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0gik4$3p5gh$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Cells may possess hidden communication system
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 01:52:25 +1000

On 27/04/2024 12:17 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 05:42:55 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Cells may possess hidden communication system
>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240424160454.htm
>> New research finds ion gradients across membranes form an information network for rapid cellular decision-making independent of DNA
>> Date:
>> April 24, 2024
>> Source:
>> H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
>>
>> Seems logical to me...
>
> "For decades, scientists have viewed DNA as the sole source of
> cellular information."
>
> Well, some of the dumber ones did. Cellular function studies have a
> long and honored history of stupidity.

Nerve cells communicate with with one another by fiddling local
potassium to sodium ion ratios. It changes the voltage difference across
the cell-to-cell junctions. The signals can propagate fairly fast.

https://nba.uth.tmc.edu/neuroscience/m/s1/chapter03.html

"In fact, the propagation velocity of the action potentials in nerves
can vary from 100 meters per second (580 miles per hour) to less than a
tenth of a meter per second (0.22 miles per hour)."

DNA doesn't come into it (or at least not directly).

Science daily was suggesting that regular cells use a similar sort of
system for communicating with their near neighbours. Why this would be a
"hidden communication system" escapes me. If nobody looked for it, it
wouldn't have to be "hidden" to be unknown.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney