Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v29fi8$2l9d8$1@dont-email.me>

From: Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: smart people doing stupid things
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 22:49:51 -0700

On 5/17/2024 9:46 PM, Edward Rawde wrote:
>> Where it will be in 10 years is impossible to predict.
>
> I agree.

So, you can be optimistic (and risk disappointment) or
pessimistic (and risk being pleasantly surprised).
Unfortunately, the consequences aren't as trivial as
choosing between the steak or lobster...

>> But, as the genie is
>> out of the bottle, there is nothing to stop others from using/abusing it
>> in ways that we might not consider palatable!  (Do you really think an
>> adversary will follow YOUR rules for its use -- if they see a way to
>> achieve gains?)
>>
>> The risk from AI is that it makes decisions without being able to
>> articulate
>> a "reason" in a verifiable form.
>
> I know/have known plenty of people who can do that.

But *you* can evaluate the "goodness" (correctness?) of their
decisions by an examination of their reasoning.  So, you can
opt to endorse their decision or reject it -- regardless of
THEIR opinion on the subject.

E.g., if a manager makes stupid decisions regarding product
design, you can decide if you want to deal with the
inevitable (?) outcome from those decisions -- or "move on".
You aren't bound by his decision making process.

With AIs making societal-scale decisions (directly or
indirectly), you get caught up in the side-effects of those.