Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2hbbr$esr8$1@dont-email.me>

From: Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: MT VOID, 05/17/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 46, Whole Number 2328
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 05:27:23 -0000 (UTC)

Paul Dormer <prd@pauldormer.cix.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <v2cvjg$3ddkr$1@dont-email.me>, evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com
> (Evelyn C. Leeper) wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, a follow-up
>
> And another follow-up, just seen a plot description of a film on TV today
> in which a person is descried as a "latter-day Mary Whitehouse".
>
> For those that don't know, Mary Whitehouse was a teacher in the sixties
> and later who campaigned against the permissive society, but she didn't
> come to prominence until the mid-sixties, so latter-day is wrong.
>
> (Incidentally, the BBC did a biopic of her a few years ago, after her
> death.  In one scene, she decides to start an organisation called Clean
> Up National Television.  Her husband takes her aside to point out the
> unfortunate acronym.)

The sixties were 60 years ago. How long ago does something have to be
to be able to say 'latter-day' for a new incarnation?

Mary was sincere, and iirc fought cleanly, but she was on the wrong
side of history.

Most amusingly, her presence led to the launching of a British skin
magazine titles 'Whitehouse'.

Pt