Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2sopm$2t03d$1@dont-email.me>

From: FPP <fredp1571@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Scarlett Johansson's Battle With OpenAI
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 09:24:04 -0400

On 5/24/24 10:26 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/ar-BB1mWLqa
>
> Scarlett Johansson's powerful Hollywood agent, Bryan Lourd, wanted answers
> when he made an urgent call to Sam Altman last week: What do you think you're
> doing?
>
> Altman's artificial intelligence powerhouse, OpenAI, had for months
> unsuccessfully courted Johansson, who memorably voiced an AI assistant in the
> 2013 film HER. Last September, Johansson turned down an offer to work with
> OpenAI and voice a new assistant feature.
>
> Altman didn't give up. In mid-May, he texted Lourd, co-chairman of Creative
> Artists Agency, asking if Johansson might reconsider-- he wanted to show the
> actress something he'd been working on, people familiar with the interaction
> said. The camps couldn't settle on a time to meet. Then on May 13, OpenAI
> showcased an updated AI system, equipped with new voice assistants for its
> Chat GPT tool, including a female named Sky.
>
> Johansson was surprised and angry. She and Lourd thought-- and others agreed--
> that Sky's voice sounded "eerily similar" to the actress. Lourd and the
> actress spent the morning fielding calls and emails from friends and
> associates, some of whom worried that OpenAI had simply appropriated
> Johansson's voice without permission.
>
> When Lourd confronted Altman, however, the OpenAI chief executive was
> incredulous. Did they really think the voice sounded like Johansson? Was she
> mad?
>
> So began the most dramatic episode yet in the collision between Hollywood and
> the exploding world of artificial intelligence.
>
> The emergence of AI as a rapidly advancing and perhaps unstoppable force has
> sparked deep anxiety in creative industries that for decades have been
> governed by strict rules of how creators are compensated for their work. The
> reason is that the language models that power generative AI chat tools are
> typically made using text, images, music and videos hoovered up from across
> the internet. That can include material that is copyrighted, valuable and
> often paywalled-- like Scarlett Johansson's voice.
>
> Johansson-- who just three years ago waged a blistering and public legal
> campaign against Disney-- hired a legal team to demand answers from Altman and
> OpenAI and issued an excoriating statement.
>
> OpenAI, however, said Sky was never intended to resemble Johansson, and that
> the company had hired a voice actor who recorded the part before any outreach
> to Johansson. People close to Altman say he wanted Johansson to be involved in
> the voice project, potentially as an additional voice or to promote the
> product.
>
> OpenAI paused use of the Sky voice on Sunday after receiving legal letters
> from Johansson's team of representatives. Altman said Monday evening in a
> statement that he apologized for failing to communicate better.
>
> Altman has been the most visible face of the AI movement since OpenAI launched
> [...]

Which is a complete crock of shit.
Wrong again, counselor.  That's what they're saying now, when they're
faced with a lawsuit.

Altman was trying to get SJ to agree as little as 48 hours before
launch.  There wouldn't have been time to craft a voice in that short a
time unless they had it already done.

And the final proof is Altman, himself.  He announced the new AI over on
Shitter with a single word.

Would you care to guess what that word was, counselor?

Here's a hint:

It was "HER".

Ring a bell?

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible  25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0