Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3r5rr$1airq$3@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The entire history of GuhNoo/FOSS/Linux hobbyware in 3 words
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 02:11:07 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-06-05, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On 2024-06-05 11:57 a.m., DFS wrote:
>>
>> "inspired by <insert commercial app>"
>
> It should be noted that Linux's openness is a major reason for why Sun
> Microsystems went bankrupt. Sun's stuff was still better, but people
> could create a bunch of servers for cheap using Linux that it didn't
> even matter.
>
> I guess that's Linux's greatest achievement: killing Sun and putting
> lots of people out of work.

I think Sun was like a lot of big, successful corporations. They got fat and
complacent and failed to innovate. Sun was already on its way down long
before Linux became the dominant web-server OS. Microsoft specifically set
out to destroy Sun. When I helped to remove a PBX switch and phones at a
closed Mirosoft corporate building in Dallas (in the early 2000s) I saw some
of their material about destroying Sun in the assorted trash they just left
lying around. I think they called it "Sundown" — or something like that.
They considered Sun a major competitor but, by then, they had pretty much
done their job.

As for Sun OS being "better" than Linux. Maybe at the time, but Linux was
already innovating while Sun was resting on their laurels.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."