Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3uppc$lfed$2@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

From: Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Labyrinth Lord (B/X clone) 2nd Edition Draft - What is your
 impression?
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2024 12:58:04 +0200

On 6/7/2024 1:14 AM, Maik Wagner wrote:
> Hello everyone and greetings from Germany,
>
> I had a look at the goblinoidgames.com website to see what is happening
> with "Labyrinth Lord" which I still enjoy and play from time to time.
>
> Apparently there is a 2nd Edition in development and a draft of the new
> ruleset is available for download from their site.
>
> I never bothered about the "Advanced Labyrinth Lord" ruleset which is
> also available and I am quite happy with the 2007 ruleset. Things like
> "races" as classes are things I just accept and appreciate the simple
> mechanics of the Labyrinth Lord ruleset.
>
> Still I am getting the impression that this upcoming edition is going to
> "feel different" - apparently there are Cyclopses which can be played,
> the "Thief class" seems to have become a "burglar" etc. which looks
> strange to be and different to what I have been used to.
>
> What I do find interesting is that there is a mini-campaign that comes
> with the book which looks interesting at first glance and that the map of
> the "Known Lands" now looks way better than in the old ruleset.
>
> What is your impression of the renewed Labyrinth Lord ruleset? Are you
> going to buy and play it?
>
> Personally I will probably stick to my 2007 edition and I have bought
> many copies for to hand to my players at the table.
>
> Have a good day,
> Maik

Well, it seems that Dan, after getting a response to shutting down
Goblinoid Games, decided to react by making his own version of B/X
instead of cloning the old rules.
And it makes a lot of sense, considering there are so much more options
around than there were when LL originally came out. Most people if they
need a well-layouted clone of B/X would go for Old School Essentials
nowadays. And even if not that, why not Swords and Wizardry, or White
Box, or etc. pp.
I do have a fondness for LL as well though, and I love the old books and
their art, and it doesn't really bother me that some of the rules are
not quite right for a straight up clone. It is what was thought possible
back then.
So having a different LL instead of a straight off copy of DnD makes sense.

By the way the Advanced Labyrinth Lord book from a few years back was
basically just the original LL and the Advanced Edition Companion under
one cover, with I think only some errata in there. Not a completely new
edition.