Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v45at5$3radd$1@dont-email.me>

From: TTman <kraken.sankey@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 23:38:28 +0100

On 08/06/2024 23:53, Don Y wrote:
> In the US, we are required (new construction) to have two dedicated 20A
> (2400W) circuits to service countertop "small appliances".  In addition,
> there is also a requirement for a relatively tight spacing between
> (duplex) receptacles -- the intent to keep cords short (IIRC, < 4ft...
> we settled on 3').
>
> SWMBO was watching a britcom and commented at how few receptacles/outlets
> were in evidence to serve the countertop.  Granted, each outlet is rated a
> fair bit higher than US (each US outlet being 2400W -- the full load rating
> of the branch circuit supporting it).  But, still, how do you address
> NUMBERS of appliances in use, concurrently -- where each appliance will
> likely draw only a fraction of the rated branch circuit's current so
> total load isn't an issue?
>
> E.g., we (presently) have a ~1KW microwave oven and a ~1KW toaster as
> ever-present loads.  To that, it is not uncommon to add an electric
> wok, hand or stand mixer, pizzelle iron, etc.  The abundance of
> outlets makes it easy to add appliances as well as providing flexibility
> over where they can be put into use.

We mostly fit double outlet sockets 20-30 cm above worktops on the wall.
Each socket ( there can be several spread around the kitchen area) can
supply ( in theory) 30 Amps @ 230V. Back at the main fusebox, there will
be a 30 Amp MCB( miniature contact breaker). All the sockets are wired
in a 'ring main' format to prevent excessive volt drops at any outlet. A
kettle will have a typical power rating of 3kW so ~13 Amps draw. Other
main appliances - dish washer/washing machine/oven etc mostly have thier
own separate supplies. Ovens will be wired using 6mm
cable.Microwave/toaster coffe maker will be plugged itto a wall socket
in the kitchen. Plugs will be fitted with either 3A/5A or 13A fuses
depending.