Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v476e1$h0jt$1@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: (OT) Windows 10 won't back up to an internal HD?
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 15:34:25 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-06-10, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On 2024-06-09 7:44 p.m., RonB wrote:

>>> It might be a situation similar to my mother's Intel NUC. There were two
>>> HDs in there, one of which was used exclusively to re-image the SSD in
>>> case of failure. As far as I know, it was write-protected though I have
>>> never admitted to actually use it.
>>
>> No, the hard drive is just a standard hard drive (it's seen as the D:
>> drive). You can access it and copy files to it manually, but you can't set
>> up backup on it (directly from Windows, anyhow). Apparently this changed
>> with the release of Windows 10, Windows 7 (and, I think, 8) would backup to
>> internal hard drives. I've got to believe there is an application to do
>> this, but none that I've found so far specifically say they will work with
>> an internal hard drive. I really don't quite understand why Windows 10/11
>> has this limitation.
>
> I'm surprised that anyone even uses the Windows Backup system, to be
> honest. Every time I've taken a look at it, it appeared to be little
> more than an automated process to copy your Documents and Pictures
> folders elsewhere.

I'm totally ignorant about the best way to back up Windows. I just know I
have a 1 TB drive that's not being used and figured it would work well to
back up the SSD.

Any suggestions on backup software. The SSD came with Acronis (and includes
a backup feature, but it doesn't allow me to use the internal hard drive for
this?

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."