Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbldh8$23u4a$1@dont-email.me>

From: RonO <rokimoto557@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Re: California Dairy herds positive for the dairy virus
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2024 18:55:20 -0500
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
	id 73D0A22986F; Sun, 08 Sep 2024 19:55:25 -0400 (EDT)
	by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 399E922978C
	for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Sun, 08 Sep 2024 19:55:23 -0400 (EDT)
          by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.98)
          for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
          tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
          (envelope-from <news@eternal-september.org>)
          id 1snRkj-000000036Pn-0VzJ; Mon, 09 Sep 2024 01:55:33 +0200
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256)
	(No client certificate requested)
	by smtp.eternal-september.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id A575A5F861
	for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Sun,  8 Sep 2024 23:55:21 +0000 (UTC)

On 9/7/2024 2:17 PM, RonO wrote:
> On 9/6/2024 5:34 PM, RonO wrote:
>> On 9/4/2024 8:23 PM, RonO wrote:
>>> 3 herds in California central valley have been found to be positive
>>> for the dairy virus.
>>>
>>> https://www.statnews.com/2024/08/29/california-nations-largest-milk-
>>> producer-discloses-possible-bird-flu-outbreaks-in-three-dairy-cow-herds/
>>>
>>> They claim that California workers are "usually" dedicated to just
>>> one herd so do not pick up shifts at nearby poultry farms, but months
>>> ago (before I retired in May) I noted that California had high levels
>>> of influenza virus in the waste water around the bay area.  At that
>>> time they had estimated that the virus first infected cattle Sept or
>>> Oct 2023, and they hadn't yet found viral sequence from herds
>>> infected that early in Texas.  When I looked into the avian influenza
>>> cases the Dairy virus was most similar to one isolated from a
>>> Peregrine falcon in California.  California had high levels of
>>> influenza virus in their waste water (associated with infected herds
>>> in Texas and Michigan) and Commercial poultry farms started to go
>>> down in the central valley in Oct 2023 (the flocks get infected by
>>> the dairy workers).  A number of flocks went down within a few months
>>> working their way up North and around the bay area.
>>>
>>> I contacted a person at the Avian disease ARS station in Georgia, and
>>> tried to get the name of the person that would have the sequence data
>>> of the California samples (they had not been included in any of the
>>> dairy virus studies) but I was told that the USDA did not give out
>>> that information.  I told the guy that they needed to check out those
>>> samples, but his comment was that they were busy.
>>>
>>> My prediction is that when they sequence the central valley virus
>>> they could identify the region where the initial dairy infection
>>> occurred and it spread from California to Texas.  The virus spread
>>> rapidly out of Texas, but it probably came from somewhere else.
>>>
>>> The CDC and USDA would have identified many more states with infected
>>> herds by now if they had acted on the waste water data and the FDA
>>> identification of states with virus positive dairy products.  The
>>> Dairy workers are not being protected from being infected in states
>>> that refuse to identify their infected herds.
>>>
>>> Ron Okimoto
>>
>> https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/person-infected-bird-flu-
>> missouri-no-contact-animals-know-rcna170010
>>
>> There has been a case of H5N1 in a human in Missouri, but this person
>> did not have contact with poultry or dairy cattle.  My guess is that
>> it is person to person transmission.  Missouri is one of the states
>> that has not verified any positive dairy herds (no one has been
>> looking), but Kansas and Oklahoma have positive dairy herds.  They
>> have known that it was likely human transmission into Kansas and North
>> Dakota from Texas because neither states got cattle from Texas, but
>> both states got the virus from Texas.  Human to human transmission has
> [...]

As stupid as it may be the CDC response to the latest human infection
without contact with animals is worse than can be imagined.  They did
not send a team to investigate, and have not started contact tracing and
testing of close contacts.  It seems crazy when you think that the
person was hospitalized, and this is obviously a serious case of
infection.  What they do not want is the 50% human mortality associated
with the H5N1 virus to become a reality for the dairy virus.  The CDC
continues to do nothing but monitor the disease in two states, which is
just nuts.  They are actually waiting for it to become a noticeable
problem somewhere else before starting to do anything in other states.

https://www.statnews.com/2024/09/08/missouri-h5-bird-flu-case-questions-cat-raw-milk/

Ron Okimoto