Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<u7sihn$3cv3i$1@dont-email.me>

From: Alexander Schreiber <als@usenet.thangorodrim.de>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: After the storm, hopefully
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 23:29:18 +0100
 <63E50FF0.4446.news.afc@realitycheckbbs.org> <tsbnck$1sbh4$6@dont-email.me>
 <k4t8pgFeqj4U1@mid.individual.net> <tsj4kj$2uaeu$5@dont-email.me>
 <k54q9pFk9v1U1@mid.individual.net> <tsl6hm$385rl$1@dont-email.me>
 <EMrHL.1314658$GNG9.418138@fx18.iad> <k5766gFuf3U3@mid.individual.net>
 <20230216180832.48e8613c66469b0d22a53b99@eircom.net>
 <142292670.698274645.645352.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-september.org>
 <sek2cjxjt9.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
 <20230217054508.4149961b5cae8588ac92e4da@eircom.net>
 <slrntv1hdj.1u7a.als@mordor.angband.thangorodrim.de>
 <20230218161753.a22dec5d639186595385b036@eircom.net>

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:33:55 +0100
> Alexander Schreiber <als@usenet.thangorodrim.de> wrote:
>
>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>> > 	If it's a diesel then it should be easy enough to run it on home
>> > made biodiesel - making instructions and even kits are easily available
>> > online, try not to burn down the house.
>>
>> In principle yes (I mean, the very first Diesel engine ran on peanut oil),
>> but there are traps. Biodiesel usually isn't straight up vegetable oil,
>
> 	It never is.

Before RME became common, quite a few people running cars with older
(and more robust) Diesel engines switched to feeding them (carefully
filtered) used cooking oil. With the side effect that you tended to
smell a greasy spoon fastfood joint in the middle of nowhere if you
found yourself driving behind them ;-)

>> but usually chemically processed vegetable oils (e.g. rapeseed methyl
>> ester, aka RME) and that stuff can be decidedly unfriendly to the
>
> 	That's the stuff.

It's also apparently a really good solvent, which is typically not a
desired property in an engine fuel ;-)

>> fuel system and the engine (e.g. plastics and metals - with pure RME
>> some plastic have shown noticeable degradation and some metals have
>
> 	Yes some engines need seals replacing - last time I looked into it
> Viton seal kits were available for a wide range of engines.

Yup, replace the (plastic/rubber) parts that RME tends to attack and
you should be good.

>> So will running 100% biodiesel in a diesel engine not rated for kill
>> the engine? Most likely not, but you should expect to pay a lot more
>> attention to regular servicing and maintenance to spot (and fix) whatever
>> issues (e.g. plastic parts of the fuel system degrading) crop up.
>
> 	Yep - all part of the fun of running an obsolete vehicle. Not too
> dissimilar to the problem of five star petrol going away when tetraethyl
> lead did - some cars needed it to avoid pinking.

AFAIK ethanol also does a decent job as an anti-knock agent, without
poisoning your fellow man with lead. Again, parts of the fuel system
(IIRC mostly seals) might need replacement for that.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison